Tuesday, March 18, 2008

piggy banks


I want to say that it was an incredible eureka moment that took the doodle to the bank, but it wasn’t. There are really only two things that come to mind when I see a pig: Charlotte's Web and bubble-gum-pink piggy banks. Engulfed with the newest craft techniques at the local art supply store, I happened across some white mini piggy banks. I called on some artist friends, talked out the concept and bought out the supply of banks at the store.



I transformed a room in my home into a studio. Started the coffee, called in some favors and broke out the paints. The end result was delightful! Their beauty outweighed their function. These little guys maybe held $3 in change - but that wasn’t the point. We had created something small and joyful and worth sharing. But how? How to connect a piggy bank with a veteran’s cause. Then I remembered an old quote from high school history class:

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead.

It doesn’t matter how you create change as long as you pour light, love and luck into your creation. We made about 60 hand-painted gems and they sold out in a month. We were able to hand over a check to Veterans’ Families United and it felt good! We dubbed them Woodstock the Pig.